Becoming a Host
How do I become a host?
Hosting international students and scholars is a great way to stay home and make friends from all around the world. The host application process includes paperwork, a criminal record check for all household members over 18, personal references, and an interview to be conducted in your home.
Homestay is not a rental agreement. Its purpose is to include homestay guests in your life for the purposes of helping them learn English and experience American culture. Hosts must be excited about this mission.
Hosts provide each homestay guest with the following things:
- Intentional, relaxed conversation in English
- American cultural experiences (e.g. the post office, a little league game, a museum or a birthday party)
- A comfortable, private bedroom, including bed, linens, desk, desk chair, desk light, comfortable chair, internet access, and air conditioning from May 1 to September 30
- Access to a shared bathroom, free laundry facilities, cleaning supplies, a microwave and toaster oven (in the kitchen), and space in a cupboard and refrigerator to store personal food
- A variety of healthful foods for daily, continental self-serve breakfast
- Three fresh, sit-down, family-style dinners a week in which English is spoken and enjoyed
- Assistance with transportation on the first day of class
The Homestay Fee is calculated at a rate of $31.00 per night, payable during orientation on move-in day. If you would like information about becoming a host for Right at Home Homestay, please complete the host inquiry form and someone will contact you.
First, complete the host inquiry form. After review, the Homestay Coordinator will contact you and provide you with a full Host Application packet. Then, submit the completed application and all supporting documentation to the Right at Home Homestay office at 435 South 45th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
After reviewing it, the Homestay Coordinator will contact you to arrange a time for a Home Study visit. This visit includes a face-to-face interview with all members of the family over 18 years of age and an opportunity to see the home and the fully-prepared homestay rooms.
An $85.00 Home Study Fee, payable by check to Right at Home Homestay, will be collected at the time of the Home Study.